This activity inspires participants to reflect, become more aware of their surroundings, and
incorporate gratitude into their daily routine. Rose Thorn Bud is an activity that can be done a
single time, periodically, or incorporated regularly as part of a classroom, group, or family
If you’d like to write your thoughts down, you will need a pencil or pen and a sheet of paper.
Another option is to brainstorm without writing anything down and then share your ideas verbally.
How it works:
Explain what a rose, a thorn, and a bud represent.
- Rose = A highlight, success, small win, or something positive that happened today.
- Thorn = A challenge you experienced or something you can use more support with.
- Bud = New ideas that have blossomed or something you are looking forward to knowing more
about or experiencing.
Give participants 2-3 minutes to sit silently and reflect on their day (or experience)—and identify
one rose, one thorn, and one bud. Then give participants 5-10 minutes to jot down ideas on a
piece of paper.
Debrief questions for parents and adults to discuss with children:
- Were any of these (rose, thorn, bud) easier or more difficult to identify than others?
- Did anything surprise you as you considered what your rose, thorn, and bud were?
- How can we best support each other’s highs, lows/challenges, and goals?
- What are some ways you practice mindfulness?