Jeremy Cutler, Ed.D.
Jeremy has been working with schools and teachers for over 20 years. He has been a middle school teacher, school counselor, Dean of Students, and Assistant Principal in both public and independent schools. Currently, Jeremy works at The Aloha Foundation as an Assistant Director and a trainer in Success Counseling, and also serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he teaches in the Graduate School of Education. Additionally, Jeremy consults with several local schools on issues of student culture and leadership. In his free time, Jeremy loves to play outside, listen to funk and soul music, and eat baked goods.
Katie Knowles, MA Education
Katie has worked in education for over 20 years as a teacher, tutor, leader, and educational consultant with schools working to improve their school climate. She was Executive Director of InspiringKids, a nonprofit youth leadership and philanthropy initiative, which became part of the Hulbert Outdoor Center in 2016. Katie was the Director of Program Development for the Hulbert Outdoor Center, creating new curricula and staff training. She is now Director of Education and Partnerships for the Aloha Foundation, overseeing educational opportunities for people of all ages and developing innovative programming. Over her many years as a camper, counselor, and leader at the Aloha Camps, she developed her skills in Success Counseling and enjoys helping others use this approach to grow personally and professionally. Katie and her husband, Jason, live in Fairlee with their sons Will and Alex.
Starting as a homesick camper in 1954, Posie Taylor grew up at The Aloha Camps in Fairlee, Vermont. After almost 20 years as Director of Aloha’s camp for younger girls and Director of Development, she became Executive Director of The Aloha Foundation in 1989, serving in that role until 2005 and then returning as Interim Executive Director from 2013 to 2014. Active in the American Camp Association since 1977, Posie has filled many roles over the years, including multiple stints on the ACA National Board and on the board of ACA/New England. In 2017 she received ACA’s highest award, the Distinguished Service Award, for her service as a teacher, mentor, and leader. In “retirement,” she is a consultant to camps around the country, particularly in the areas of Board Development and Fund Raising and an enthusiastic volunteer for her favorite causes. She currently serves as Board Chair of three local organizations, but her best role is being “Grammie” to her 4 wonderful grandchildren and granddog!
Nancy was director of Aloha Camp for 25 years. She took her Success Counseling skills – years of training staff – and has been using them for 10 years in her work as a parent educator. She leads parenting groups, teacher training workshops and strategic planning sessions. Her passion is families – shining a light on how to create a home environment that frames daily life and routines in clearly defined values, strategies for cooperation, and a common sense of purpose that enriches children and adults in the family experience. A fifty-two year marriage, four children, and thirteen grandchildren add to the richness of her life.
Success Counseling Resources:
- “Partnering with Parents” This article by a former Lanakila staff member and current camp professional explains his understanding of the Success Counseling Process
Choice Theory Resources:
- Choice Theory: A New Psychology of Personal Freedom by William Glasser M.D., Harper Collins Publishers, ISBN #0060930144
- Counseling With Choice Theory: the New Reality Therapy by William Glasser M.D., Quill Publishing, ISBN #0060953667
Perceptual Control Psychology Resources:
- Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control by William T. Powers, Benchmark Press, ISBN #0964712156
- A People Primer: The Nature of Living Systems by Shelley Roy, New View Publications, ISBN- #0944337473
- Teacher Adoption of Technology: A Perceptual Control Theory Perspective. Contributors: Yong Zhao – author, Gary A. Cziko , Journal of Technology and Teacher Education. Volume: 9. Issue: 1. Publication Year: 2001. Available on http://www.mikewbrown.com/6329indproj/article3.pdf
Science of Perceptual Control Theory Resources:
- “Adapted Behavior as the Control of Perception” Within the book: Without Miracles, Gary Cziko, MIT Press, 1995 Wikipedia
For more on the works of others who are very much aligned to Success Counseling ideas:
- NPR Interview (2/14/18)
The Key to Raising a Happy Child
- TED TALK
“You Aren’t At The Mercy Of Your Emotions — Your Brain Creates Them” by Lisa Feldman Barrett · Neuroscientist, psychologist, author
Can you look at someone’s face and know what they’re feeling? Does everyone experience happiness, sadness and anxiety the same way? What are emotions anyway? For the past 25 years, psychology professor Lisa Feldman Barrett has mapped facial expressions, scanned brains and analyzed hundreds of physiology studies to understand what emotions really are. She shares the results of her exhaustive research — and explains how we may have more control over our emotions than we think.
- Creating the Conditions: Leadership for Quality Schools by Diane C. Gossen, New View Publications, ISBN #0944337260
- Peaceful Parenting by Nancy Buck, Black Forest Press, ISBN # 1582750149
- Restitution: Restructuring School Discipline byDiane C. Gossen, New View Publications, ISBN #0944337368
- How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain byLisa Feldman Barrett. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing., NY, NY 2017