The Short Answer
Success Counseling is a process to help people become more effective versions of the people they want to be in their personal and professional lives. Success Counseling helps people understand why they and others do what they do, and how to use that information to create greater success and freedom in both their own lives and those of others.
The Longer Answer
Success Counseling is both a psychological model and a set of skills based on internal control psychology. Success Counseling redefines what motivates us and shows us how to have much greater control over our emotions and happiness than most of us feel we have. Much of our current world – and many of the institutions and organizations that comprise it – is based on external control psychology. This leads people to believe that their happiness and success is largely controlled by “external” forces (bosses, spouses, friends, rules, jobs, etc.), and therefore leads people to feel like victims in their own lives when they realize they cannot control those external forces. On the other hand, internal control psychology, or Success Counseling, leads to win-win relationships rather than relationships filled with conflict, and as we understand the powerful role that perception plays in our lives, we can change patterns that we no longer find useful or effective.
Success Counseling has its roots in the work of William Glasser (Reality Therapy, Choice Theory) and William Powers (Perceptual Control Theory) and others who have created Applied Control Theory, but Success Counseling has taken these ideas several steps further to be even more impactful in the educational settings of today. Although we have done a lot of current work with teachers, counselors, and students, Success Counseling can be applied in almost any setting – educational, personal, professional, familial, etc. – and is a valuable tool for everyone.
The skills and concepts of Success Counseling have profound implications for the way we live our lives, especially in the realm of relationships. In our workshops, some of what you will learn includes:
- How to work and communicate effectively with people (students, partners, bosses, employees, family members) in both times of calm and times of strife
- How to create powerful and self-sustaining communities, where all members feel connected, involved, and responsible
- The power and process of perception
- How to manage discipline situations with minimal conflict and maximum positive outcomes
- How to understand and have healthy expectations about what you can and cannot accomplish
- How to let go of what you can’t control, without giving up your core responsibility as a leader, boss, teacher, colleague, spouse, partner, or parent
- Distinguishing when to use a power-based approach and when to use a relationship-based approach to teaching and problem-solving
- Internal vs. External Control Psychology
- Learning to use language that minimizes conflict, and that promotes genuine engagement
- Clarifying and moving forward towards becoming the person you want to be in all areas of your life
Whether you are a teacher, parent, spouse, counselor, manager, leader, or colleague, this workshop will have a direct effect on both your happiness and effectiveness.
You do not need to have any special knowledge to learn Success Counseling. Training is designed to work with both those who have no knowledge of the Success Counseling model and with those have had fairly extensive exposure. You will get a full picture of the theory and its applications and also will have time to develop skills that you can use immediately, both personally and professionally.